OWU Home
 
 
 
 

OWU Wins ALA Award for Government Documentation


March 7, 2000

DELAWARE, OHIO -- Ohio Wesleyan University is one of The Five Colleges of Ohio to receive the 2000 Bernadine Abbot Hoduski Founders Award for their pioneering work in retrospectively cataloging their early collections of government documents. The award is established each year by the Government Documents Roundtable of the American Library Association. The other four colleges include: The College of Wooster, Denison University, Kenyon College and Oberlin College.

The award recognizes librarians who may not be known at the national level but who have made significant contributions to the field of state, international, local, or federal documents. This award recognizes those whose contributions have benefitted not only the individual's institution but also the profession.

Four of the five colleges have had federal government documents depository libraries since the nineteenth century. Ohio Wesleyan was one of the first depositories in the nation, beginning in 1845.

The cataloging project, overseen by the Government Documents Librarians at each of the institutions, is being coordinated by Ellen Conrad, former Government Documents Associate at The College of Wooster.

According to Theresa Byrd, director of libraries at Ohio Wesleyan, the accomplishment is an example of what other institutions can do to provide government access to the materials. Byrd is happy to be able to make a significant contribution to the community.

Funding for the project was provided by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, through its grant that established the Five Colleges of Ohio Consortium, Inc.