OWU Home

Bishop Men's Soccer Defeated in NCAA Division III Quarterfinal

November 20, 2000

DELAWARE, OHIO -- Junior forward Chris McDonald (Seaside, Ore.) scored with 9:44 left in the fourth overtime to lift Linfield (Oregon) College to a 1-0 win over Ohio Wesleyan University in an NCAA Division III quarterfinal match on Saturday night at Roy Rike Field on the Ohio Wesleyan campus in Delaware, Ohio.

Linfield (21-0-1) advances to the NCAA Division III semifinals, where the Wildcats will face Messiah (Pa.). That game will take place on Friday on the campus of one of the semifinalists.

The goal was set up by senior midfielder Shane Norris (Gresham, Ore.). On an Ohio Wesleyan goal kick, Norris soared over the backs of two Battling Bishop players to win the ball. He headed it toward the Ohio Wesleyan goal, and McDonald picked it up in full stride, one on one with Ohio Wesleyan keeper Adam Roberts (Worthington, Ohio/Wellington). McDonald slipped the ball just inside the left post to end the game and continue Linfield's season.

Ohio Wesleyan controlled play through most of the first half, outshooting Linfield, 8-0, in the period. Linfield's only good scoring chance came early, when McDonald wound up with a loose ball inside the penalty area, but Roberts covered the ball before McDonald could fire a shot.

Meanwhile, the Bishops kept Wildcat keeper Luke Voiles (Bonney Lake, Wash.) busy. He saved a direct kick off the foot of Ohio Wesleyan junior back Phil Hoffman (Kettering, Ohio/Alter), and later batted aside a shot by junior midfielder Phil Miller (Newcastle, England) and the Wildcats cleared the ensuing corner kick.

Ohio Wesleyan's best chance to score in regulation time came early in the second half, when junior midfielder Tacuma Robinson (Atlanta, Ga./Booker T. Washington (Okla.)) threaded the needle with a crossing pass to senior midfielder Jon Van Horn (Mount Pleasant, Mich./Mount Pleasant Baptist), but Van Horn's header clanged off the post, and Linfield cleared the rebound.

Van Horn was denied again in the first overtime, when his sliding shot off a Robinson cross was covered by Wildcat keeper Phil Haines (Bend, Ore./Mountain View).

Linfield also had one good chance in the first overtime when senior midfielder Tim Bishop (Spokane, Wash.) cranked a hard shot off a run, but Roberts was there for the stop to preserve the shutout.

The post was unkind to the Bishops again in the second overtime. On a restart outside the box, Miller sent the ball to sophomore forward Brett Dunlap (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota). Dunlap's header hit the crossbar and caromed back to his right, but his shot on the rebound was wide of the goal. Less than two minutes later, Dunlap's sliding shot off a Miller cross was smothered by Haines.

Linfield nearly won the game midway through the third overtime, when sophomore midfielder Jordan Bebee (Seattle, Wash./Inglemoor) had his header of a corner kick travel over Roberts and across the goal mouth before a Bishop defender stepped in to clear it off the line.

Van Horn had two headers sail wide in the final moments of the period, the first off a restart and the second off a through ball.

In the fourth overtime, freshman midfielder Ryan McClellan (Bend, Ore./Mountain View) saved the game for the Wildcats. Dunlap had taken the ball along the right end line and gotten around Hoiles, but McClellan was there to clear the ball.

Ohio Wesleyan outshot Linfield, 25-12. Voiles had three saves in the first half and Haines stopped five shots during the final 95 minutes of play. Roberts went the distance in the Bishop goal, making five saves. The Battling Bishops finish the season with a record of 23-1